Letter requesting uncertified copy of birth or death certificate

Description

When researching your genealogy, use this letter template to request an uncertified copy of a relative's birth or death certificate. The letter encloses self-addressed, stamped envelopes and a check for the research and copying fees.

User
[Street Address]
[City, ST ZIP Code]
[Date]

[Recipient Name]
[Title]
[Company Name]
[Street Address]
[City, ST ZIP Code]

Dear [Recipient Name]:

I am writing to request an uncertified copy of [Ancestor Name]’s [birth/death] certificate. [Ancestor Name]is my [relationship to ancestor], and I am requesting the document to aid me in genealogy research.
[Ancestor Name][was born/died] in [Location] on [Date]. [His/Her] parents’ names were [Father’s Name]and [Mother’s Maiden Name].
I have enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a check for $[amount] to cover research and copying costs. If this amount is not sufficient, please send a bill for additional costs to me at the address above.
Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
User
Enclosure

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : Letter requesting uncertified copy of birth or death certificate